So, I have a patreon. It's not much right now, but I'd like to rework it so it's got more value for people that support me through it. Its also got to be stuff I can deliver. Also right now it mostly is just around Shifters, but it could possibly support Brymstone too if there was enough interest.
However, I'd like to get an idea of what sort of patreon rewards you, the supporters, feel have value. I don't have core membership anymore, or I'd probably do a poll, so this will have to do. So, here are my personal observations so far with Patreon:
So I'm talking to different groups of people here.
- I've offered things like exclusive livestreams and skype Q&As, and no one attends, so I feel like this has little value on a "patrons only" level currently.
- I've got a strong feeling that people are mostly there just for the early updates of the comic/lineart previews. this makes some sense though, people are there for the /comics/ first and foremost.
- I don't really get much feedback on the wallpapers or any other art, though up till recently I wasn't posting random art.
One is people who already support artists on patreon (mine or others), and that is what sorts of rewards do you personally value? What things do you want to participate in? How do you want and expect to interact with an artist you support on patreon.
The other group of people who aren't supporting people on patreon, but If you were going to support an artist, (and that doesn't have to be much, $1 minimum here guys, Less than a cup of coffee), what would entice you to do so? What would an artist need to be providing for you to say "Yes, this is worth my dollar a month." (or hopefully more).Rewards I commonly see offered by artists include:
- Access to a patron only 'art stream' of sketches, sneak peaks, and random unpublished stuff
- Discounts on commissions/products
- Priority on Commission slots
- Tutorials (art, or otherwise)
- Private Streams - Process, lessons
- Free Commission, icons, sketches rewards at a certain tier
- Hangouts, Q&As
- High rez downloads, PSD files
- Credits/shoutouts on art or in a comic
- Cameos in comics
- Process videos
- Physical rewards (stickers, charms, pins, prints)
- Access to an exclusive upload area with PDF and other goodies
- 1 on 1 art lessons, redlines, how-to videos
- Preview artwork, lineart, in progress sketches
Which of these do you find valuable? Are there other rewards not listed that you would want to see? Obviously the rewards vary by tier, but I'm trying to get a sense of which of these things do people actually like and find valuable.
I posed this to my current patrons, but they are rather silent on the matter. So I'm having to look elsewhere for feedback. So I'm very interested in any feedback I get.